Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by Mutual Consent
Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by Mutual Consent: Newcastle United's new owners determined that a change of manager was necessary, hence Steve Bruce has left the club.
After succeeding Rafael Bentez in July 2019, Bruce had been in charge at St James' Park for just over two years, and on Sunday, he presided over his 1,000th game in club management when Tottenham won 3-2 on Tyneside in front of the live television cameras.
Former Shakhtar Donetsk and Roma coach Paulo Fonseca is one of the candidates to succeed Bruce.
He's unemployed and was on the verge of taking the Tottenham job in June.
For the past two seasons, Bruce has maintained Newcastle in the Premier League, but he has proven to be a very unpopular successor to Bentez, with antagonism growing in recent weeks. Bruce's departure — along with a pay-off estimated to be in the region of £7 million – was far from unexpected, with the squad second bottom of the Premier League and unable to win a game.
Read: PSG Wins RB Leipzig in UEFA Champions League MatchDay 3
"By mutual accord, Newcastle United can report that Steve Bruce has resigned as head coach," the club said, thanking Bruce "for his contribution" and wishing him well. Bruce's assistant, Graeme Jones, will take caretaker charge for Saturday's game against Crystal Palace, according to the club; Jones may stay on the coaching staff in the long run. Coaches Steve Agnew, Stephen Clemence, Ben Dawson, and Simon Smith will be there for him this week.
In a statement, Bruce extended his gratitude to "everyone involved with Newcastle United for the opportunity to lead this unique football club," as well as the players and staff for their hard work.
"This is a club with amazing support, and I'm hoping the new owners can take it to the next level," he said.
In an interview with the Telegraph, the 60-year-old was significantly more forthright about his sentiments. “I felt I could handle anything thrown at me by the time I arrived to Newcastle,” he continued, “but it has been quite difficult.”
"To never truly be wanted, to feel as though others wanted me to fail, to continuously read people saying I was useless, a bloated waste of space, a foolish, tactically inept cabbage head, or whatever."
And it's been that way since the beginning.
"It was 'yes, but the type of football is horrible' or I was just 'fortunate' when we were doing well in terms of results.Even when the results were good, it was ludicrous and insistent."
Read Also: Salah's Brace Edges Liverpool to Victory over 10-Men Atletico Madrid
Although Bruce's salary package may raise questions, Mike Ashley was actively seeking to sell Newcastle when he accepted the job two years ago.
Benitez's successor was able to negotiate a hefty pay clause in his contract due to the chance that new owners would want their own manager.
The Search for a new Manager, one to take them to the next level as expected following the takeover starts now!
No comments